Wednesday 11 February 2015

professional cancer patient.


Today I had chemo, round #1 of this cycle 'who-the-heck-knows-what-number-we-are-up-to-now'. My goodness, this whole experience with chemo is so very never ending and perpetual. It's best not to count I think.

Huz and I spent the morning madly painting our new room (hurray) and then whisked ourselves down to Tennyson for some good old fashioned appointment attending, blood testing, chemo IV taking, flushing, coffee drinking, and chatting with the nurses action.

Good times.

And it's all very very routine. How lucky am I to have Huz chauffeur me/be my chemo slave getting me anything and everything I can't reach or get for myself while I'm all hooked up. 
Having him work part time so he can be with me has been incredible. Maybe I will never quite have the words to lend so I can articulate the stability and predictability that helps me wade through all the other changes in this gig.

I'm wanting to award myself with 'professional cancer patient award 101'. I think this might include never missing or being late to an appointment, mostly being polite to my doctor even when he gives me horrible news, and not screaming (even when I really really want to) over whatever injection is thrust into me at a moment's notice. oh, and I gave away my coffee today to one of the staff that loves me. made her so happy. loved that.

It's a true shame that all these good deeds of mine can't secure me a place in the land of 'cure' or even 'NED'. I'd take either. The sad fact is that you can be the most diligent, obliging cancer patient possible and this disease will show no mercy.

You are so bossy cancer. I really do hate you.

Today's highlights included an unexpected bone drug injection, the completion of some life insurance paperwork by my doctors(simultaneously depressing and invigorating since it was on my list of to-do's) and unsolicited advice from various nurses with various opinions as to if Huz and I should bite the bullet and get a dog!

Think we decided a no to the dog.

For me, I want to get one for Brave. He has asked only for a dog for the last three birthdays. Can you imagine the excitement if for his six birthday coming up he got a puppy? 

Oh.my.goodness.

Just thinking about him loving on a dog of his own gives me goosebumps. He adores animals. Absolutely adores them. I desperately want to be part of giving that gift to him, but oh my goodness, we so can't handle another 'dependant'. All the midnight cries for Huz to attend to, all the peeing on the floor, (the dog I mean) grass dug up, hair all over the house etc. But then I think of Brave's face. Aww...what to do?!


No comments:

Post a Comment