Saturday 10 January 2015

happy birthday aunty s


Today was a celebration of one of my beautiful sister-in-laws birthday. A very significant birthday actually. 



Hurrah!

But. I was so sad to miss out today because we've been re-adjusting my pain medications and so I was stuck in bed rather than getting to join in all the fun at Lobethal. 

A really fun part about the amazing family I've married into is how they like to celebrate birthdays - and today was all about the girls. Dressing up pretty, beautiful flowers, candles, macaroons, desserts and coffee and an afternoon together. Doesn't that sound amazing? (And Aunty Betty you really are the queen of pulling off a perfect event. You could run your own event co-ordination business without a doubt).

And isn't it always lovely to heartily celebrate those birthdays among our closest especially if we remain a few years off the birthday girls age still? I dunno, it always feel rather satisfying. Like vicariously living through them whilst at the same time remaining my youthful, 'not-even-quite-40' self.

And today's birthday girl is one of those extraordinary people who never, ever ever blows her own trumpet (or is that a horn? I always get that expression wrong....) she is the epitome of the word humble, and that just makes me more in awe of her actually.

Aunty S you are without doubt one of my favourite people to spend time with. I remember when my babies were little, and before that when your babies were little there just never seemed to be time to finish a conversation, much less be in the same room at the same time for any length of time to get to hang out. Life was hectic, and the 'little baby stage' fun, but I think I could count on one hand how many times we got to have a coffee together.

So for a long time you were on my list of people I just wanted to get to know so much better.

There really are some crazy good things that have come from the awful hard of the last few years, and one of my favourite things is the way you came to rescue your little brothers family while I was in the middle of treatments and newborn fatigue, and you just got busy showering love on my boys while I cocooned myself away to rest. Having you around our home was such an amazing gift, and somehow we even had a chance to have some coffee's together without all the littles interrupting. 

And that's when I knew just how blessed I was to have you as my sister-in-law. 

I guess that's when I stopped thinking of the 'in-law' part, and just think of you as my sister!

You are one of the best listeners I know. I never feel rushed when we spend time together, you are really good at being in the moment and hearing my heart.

You are one of the best cooks. Oh my goodness your lasagne and shepherds pie is talked about around here!

You have often lent me a gentle perspective on something I've been going on about that shows me wisdom far beyond my own thinking. I need this in my life.

I love the intentional way you and Uncle D live. I feel like I could ask you about so very many aspects of how you guys choose to love Jesus and live out your faith and there would be depth there every time. 

I see the beautiful connection and joy you have in each of your kids, and it's so so lovely.

You are loyal, kind, and always give others the benefit of the doubt. I often hear you building other people up and I love that.

And do you even know how beautiful you are? No I don't think you do - I would give anything for such gorgeous cheek bones and perfectly styled hair. You are so unbelievably photogenic!

I'm so glad you're my husbands sister and so I get to have you as mine too. Being the oldest sister growing up I always wondered what it would be like to have an older sister - and now I know - it's really amazing having someone like you on my side.




Happy Birthday!

love Cath xx


No comments:

Post a Comment