Wednesday 8 April 2015

brave's 6th birthday



Brave's 6th birthday week was fun. Based on all the times he sought me out to wrap his arms around my neck and tell me 'I love you Mummy', I think he felt pretty loved on. 


Balloons hung in the doorway so the birthday boy has to walk through them first thing in the morning


Mission accomplished.

This year wasn't a 'party year' as we call them, which has become more devastating since the littles have realised that other friends at school have a party every year. oh well. I'm the worst mama in the world, I know I know, it's just how it is.

So. This year's celebrations included all of our birthday traditions like hanging up our birthday banner and balloons for the morning of, so the birthday boy stumbles into the balloons as he comes out of his bedroom, and then pancakes for breakfast after madly opening presents and leaving bright beautiful wrapping paper strewn all over.

And this year (because I'm breaking all the rules this year) I took him out of school for the morning and we hit the shops with his new wallet and birthday money, and after long deliberations found the perfect toy to buy, topped off with a "happy" meal before heading into school carting along brownies (also his absolute favourite) to share with his class. 

Brave's favourite food is lasagne, so I made a morning of it with my thermie and together we cranked out a tasty lasagne -a personal accomplishment as I haven't cooked in over a year. I poured all the mama love into this lasagne possible. And I like to think he tasted it in every bite. Ha!

And so we gathered around our new dining table with Nana and Granddad and also a favourite cousin and aunty (hooray!) and luckily for me Nana remembered that one often eats cake at a birthday (I had completely forgotten about birthday cake) and she had made a very yum banana cake with sprinkles and candles for dessert. So yum.















So with full bellies for all and a day of being spoilt and loved on in the bag, Brave happily went through his day using and re-using his own joke he had made up, 

'I'm feeling really six today' (get it, get it? not sick but six).

It was a good day.

And I wrote him the birthday letter I do each year, and realised that as I wrote I kept smiling. Every time I think about Brave I get this little smile on my face. He's that loveable. That sweet.









































And I'm so glad the dimple has stayed around. It thrilled me the day he was born, and I am just as in love with it now.

Happy birthday, and love you more than chocolate Brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment