Friday 2 May 2014

a splendid day


One must wait until the evening to see how splendid the day has been.
Sophocles

I love this. Because you just never know what joys today might hold. And sometimes those joys don't surface until later in the day. 

I want to 'gut-believe' in the good touch of God. (Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts) 

But until it's my default to believe in His fierce love and protection, I am naming the good things He gives me each day to remind myself that even when the day is bleak, He is with me.

One of the clearest things God has ever said to me was when I had a long scan of some sort right back in 2011 when I was first being diagnosed with cancer. I was laying in this huge machine and got to about halfway through the 20 mins when I started to panic and wanted to just get out. 

I felt Him say, 'Beloved, I am here'. 

Immediately I calmed, my heart rate slowed and I felt entirely calm. 

He was here.

That was all I needed.

The scan finished up and I got out. To anyone else it was just a routine check, and I was the poor girl just being diagnosed. But I felt the presence of God, and He had made the inside of that machine holy ground.

So typical that my Jesus would make a moment so ordinary, so mundane and so ikky into something more. He's rad like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment